Families have rated Kettering General Hospital’s maternity care highly in the Care Quality Commission (CQC) Maternity Survey 2019 out today (January 28, 2020) https://www.cqc.org.uk/publications/surveys/maternity-services-survey-2019
The survey’s questions are split into three overall categories and scored out of maximum score of 10.
- KGH scored scored 9/10 for labour and birth, 8.8/10 for staff during labour and birth and 7.8/10 for care in hospital after birth
The Trust was ‘about the same’ as other English Trusts in all the questions scored except three where it was significantly ‘better’ than average.
- Partners being involved as much as they wanted – 10/10
- Being spoken to during labour and birth, in a way they could understand – 9.8/10
- Being treated with respect and dignity during labour and birth – 9.8/10
KGH’s Head of Midwifery, Mara Tonks, said: “We are delighted that once again our mums and families have rated the care they receive from us highly.
“We are especially pleased to have scored in the best categories nationally in such key areas as communicating clearly with patients, involving partners during birth and labour and treating people with dignity and respect.
“This reflects the effort our dedicated, friendly and highly skilled maternity team put into their jobs and how much that is appreciated.
In addition to the three areas ‘better’ than the national average the Trust’s maternity unit was also rated very highly – more than 9/10 – in five other areas of care.
- Having skin to skin contact with the baby shortly after birth 9.4/10
- Staff introducing themselves before examination or treatment 9.3/10
- If attention was needed during labour and birth, a member of staff was there to help 9.3/10
- Being involved enough in decisions about their care during labour and birth 9.1/10
- Having confidence and trust in the staff caring for them during labour and birth 9.4/10
The survey involved 90 women who gave birth at KGH during February 2019 filling in a questionnaire on their experience of their maternity care.