Help us help you
When you or your child needs the NHS call NHS 111 first (free 24 hour number), use the NHS 111 App or go to 111.NHS.uk.
Quick, convenient and reassuring without needing to leave your home.
Age UK Northamptonshire at KGH
Since December 2018 Age UK Northamptonshire’s team of support workers have been based at Kettering General Hospital.
Our goal is to make a positive contribution throughout the trust, from supporting on the wards to assisting hospital discharge utilising our minibus.
The team focus on providing support that will have the most positive impact on patients during their admission to Kettering General Hospital, improving patient experience and efficiently supporting their discharge home where we can provide access to community-based support.
This service can also have an impact on the sustainability of home care arrangements and contributes significantly to reducing the risk of admission and readmission.
Age UK Northamptonshire support workers are here 7 days a week covering 7 main areas. Our minibus service operates from the discharge lounge 6 days a week.
Our Support workers can assist with:
- Supporting patients with their practical and emotional needs
- Assisting patients with feeding and drinking
- Escort patients to wards and other departments with porters or nursing staff
- Contacting relatives and carers for the patient
- Advocate/liaise on behalf of patients
- Supply information and leaflets
- Assist patients in completing the family and friend’s patient feedback
- Working closely with the discharge co-ordinators
- Collect prescriptions and discharge letters
- Liaise with the Crisis Response Team to organise discharge arrangements for patients who have been identified by A&E staff
- If appropriate, accompany the patient home from the A&E department
- Provide ongoing support for patients as identified after discharge
- Provide telephone follow up calls for patients once home
Our hospital team currently consists of:-
15 Support Workers
Project Development Co-ordinator